My Blog by Eleanor Burns

My son Orion has been after me for months to start a blog but since I had no idea of what a “blog” was, I was reluctant. I saw the movie “Julie & Julia” and finally understood what it meant to “blog”. This is my very first one so please bear with me, I’m not sure what to write about so I may ramble. For so many years my whole life has revolved around quilting and I wouldn’t have it any other way! I love the creative process and figuring out how to make things easier. It is a real learning experience and I am loving every minute of it. Thank you to all of you for going on this wild quilting ride with me, we still have a lot of ground to cover!

Orion just gave me my calendar for the first part of the new year and I am already overwhelmed! So far, I have Road to California in Ontario, CA in January; Sewing Expo in Puyallup, WA in February, and then I head for the AQS Show in Lancaster, PA in March. Of course the highlight of my year is Paducah, KY in April. I guess I should have asked for new luggage for Christmas!

I enjoy staying close to home a lot more these days so I can be with my 2 grandchildren. Ellie is now 2 ½ and Jonas is 6 months old. They are the delight of my life.

Guess I better get back to work. I am finishing up the new book “Quilt Blocks on American Barns”. It needs to go to the printer soon so it will be available to you in April.

Happy quilting, enjoy the ride!
Eleanor Burns

26 Responses to “My Blog by Eleanor Burns”

1. ferne says:

Hi! Eleanor~

I have been a fan of yours for years and would like to thank you for helping to make quilting make sense to me. I love it! So glad to see that you are blogging. I have had a blog for several years and mostly do it for myself to keep track of what I am working on and whet is going on in my life, but it also helps me to keep in touch with family and friends and I have made some new quilting friends. Enjoy this new way to share!

2. Beverly says:

Hi Eleanor
    Just found you here on facebook. Don’t feel alone this is my first time to blog also. I really don’t know how it works I will have to go see Julie and Julia too maybe I can learn more about it. I had a wonderful time at camp in November thanks for everything. Have you tried the turkey call on the real Turkeys yet??

3. Sharon B says:

I live in Eastern Iowa very near a large Amish community (The Amana Colonies). We have barn quilts everywhere and my husband is considering putting one on our barn as well, if I can just decide what I want up there!

4. Carol says:

I love watching you quilt. I started quilting after I saw you on our local PBS station, I just wish I would have started this 30 years ago.

5. sonja newman says:

thank you so much for your direction on tv and in my books they,re so easy to read and it made love quilting so much. i,d always wanted a homemade quilt but they can be very exspensive and so i learned to quilt with you on your show, i just want you to know you made a difference in my life . my depression makes it hard to sew that much but when i do its because you make it easy. thank you Elle for all you do.

6. Deanne P. says:

Hi Eleanor,
    I’ve also been a big fan of yours for well, since the dinosaurs roamed the beaches (a quote from my son). LOL I really got hooked on quilting with your first book, Log Cabin, back in the ’80’s? Has it been that long? Thank you so very much for all of your innovative techniques and all the fun your shows have brought to so many people. Wish we could get it here in the Phoenix area….. I remember your shows when we lived in California. Well, enough with the babbling. Thanks again and Happy New Year! Deanne

7. TSwain says:

Hey, great blog…but I don’t understand how to add your site in my rss reader. Can you Help me, please :)

8. Laura says:

Congratulations on your new blog. Great job! I started mine almost two years ago, slow starting, but I’m learning. I feel blogs are filling a void we have in society, to be part of a community.

Keep up the good work!

I have made a quilt from your snowball pattern, I am now working on a log cabin quilt. Log cabins so far are my favorite, they are fast to piece, can come out with so many designs.

9. Brenda says:

We love the pattern books you have started for us. I wish the old books that you have revamped had what the new ones do.
    Come to Ohio!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Kim says:

Eleanor,

Thank you so much for hard work and dedication to quilting over the years. I have never blogged before but when I came across yours I thought what the heck. I have been following you for the past year, when I stumbled across your tv show being shown on RFDTV. I love the quilt in a day series and I even record them to watch over and over. I have made a couple of your patterns, trip around the world (3 diff sizes so far) & cornerstone and they both went together so easy, I will certainly be making more in the future. It is slow going as I work a full time job and I have two children & a husband to take care of, so quilting time is at a premium around my house. Thank you,

11. Carla says:

Eleanor.
    You are an inspiration. I finally finished a twin sized Sunbonnet Sue quilt that I started 10 years ago. I was originally for my daughter, but now that she has a daughter, it’s for the granddaughter! Now my grandson is wanting his own quilt! My daughter has also requested a lap throw, but she’s so picky, she only wants black and white, and wants it to include black and white toile! Any suggestions from anyone would be greatly appreciated.
    Best wishes on your future endeavors El (I’m watching your DVDs over and over and learn something new with each viewing!
    Carla

12. Anna says:

Hi Eleanor, I just found your blog and am very glad to welcome you to blogland!
    I’ve been watching your shows on Quilter’s TV and other sites for about three years or so and I’ve become a big fan of yours.
    Looking forward to following your blog!

13. Trish says:

I got my first book, log cabin, in 1982 or 83.. I went to Cloth World [now Joanns] here in Federal Heights, CO. [suburb of Denver] and they had a certified teacher from QIAD there.. she was really fun.. well, I was amazed at how quick and easy the log cabin went together, I had little munchkins at the time.. so… quick and easy was for me… my Grandma and great Grandma were quilters but they did it the “old fashioned way.” I was hooked, and here I am about 25+ years later still loving your books and everything about you. It truly is my “addiction” and the hubby just shakes his head.. another book?? Like you need another quilt book or quilty thing” just can’t help myself.. Thanks El for the wonderful stuff. Also have enjoyed your visits to Cabin Fever in Lafayette CO. that was a long time ago…. and your sister Patty’s visits to CO. as well.. what fun!!!

14. Gradie says:

Hallo Eleanor,

I live in the Netherlands and I quilt a few years. I followed some lessons and every year I followed some workshops. I visit your website a few weeks. I have seen you for the first time on Quilters TV and I enjoy your video’s.
    I would like to buy some of your books en rulers but I can only paid with Paypal. Hope that this will be soon possible because I newer use a credit-card.
    I stay following you because I like most of your quilts.

15. JOSEPHINE says:

Thank you Eleanor for such a wonderful site. I have learned so many new things by watching your free videos and also rural TV. I am really hooked and no matter where I go I have to add some fabric to my stash I can never have enough colours. I haven’t been patchworking for too long but God willing I will be patching for a few more years thanks to your excellent tutoring.
    Josephine

16. Helen ross says:

Dear Eleanor
    I got the extreme pleasure of meeting you at SewExpo on Feb. 28th. You are the most delighful and very gracious lady. I am so thrilled for you on being a grandma. I have four little grandsons, a real gift from my daughter and son in law ! I have been truly converted to your ways in the manner of your rulers and methods ! I have even converted a few others.
    Best wishes always. I love your cheerful manner and also the way you do things to minimize any waste….
    Helen Ross
    I had you sign ” A Trio of Quilts” from 1983…no rotary cutters then

17. Sandy says:

Hello, I have been a fan of yours and I thinkg I have every book you have ever published. Just love the simple instructions you give.

I would love to see more of your programs on TV (via Dish Network) but have been unable to find any of your shows.

18. Rosalyn Ryers says:

I bought a cheap Singer sewing machine when I started how to quilt, just to see if I like the hobby. After more than a year I learn to love it. In our quilt ministry in the church a lot of the members have PFAFF sewing machines . So yesterday I went to our local dealer to get my first PFAFF sewing machine. While there the sales lady showed me the Baby Lock espire and I came home with one. I still have not open it, as I am thinking of changing it to PFAFF which was my first choice. Being new to quilting I am in quandary what sewing machine will help me grow and love this hobby.

19. Gina Carpenter says:

Hi Eleanor! I made my first trek to the AQS Paducah Quilt Show this year (April 2010). It was amazing. I must say, you were one of the reasons it was so special. I enjoyed your enthusiasm, and your ability to not take yourself so seriously. Your show was fun and your down-to-earth humor refreshing. Thank you for your considerable contribution to the art of quilt-making!

Best Wishes!

Gina

20. Barbara Mays-Stock says:

Hi Eleanor,
    I have followed your wild quilting ride from the very beginning and I have learned sooo much! From the original Log Cabin, to the most recent, there is almost nothing that I won’t try because you make it simple and easy. Last year, I used your wonderful, “Underground Railroad Quilt” sampler with the “Hidden in Plain Sight” documentary book, to make a sampler quilt at The Cathedral of Saint John in Providence, RI. It was to celebrate the 200th anniversary of the prohibition of the importation of African slaves to the US. I am Deacon there and we have a very culturally diverse population. I cannot tell you how wonderful that project was! You deserve much of the credit.
    Let me know if you want to see pictures, as I would be happy to send them.

21. stephanie says:

Hi Eleanor… I found your blog after “googling” Log Cabin quilt patterns. My grandmother just gave me her copy of Quilt In a Day(second edition 1979); it even has the worksheets she used with the fabric samples for the quilts she made for all her grandkids with it still. I am really excited to try my hand at quilting. I haven’t done it before but your instructions seem really easy to follow. I will let you know how it goes. Your blog looks great by the way :)

22. Carolyn says:

I just started to quilt yesterday. Round the World Quilt in a day. LOVED IT!!! I am hooked. I went to the store today for some good scissors and of course the fabric started calling my name….I bought enough to do another one. I have a friend who showed me how to do it yesterday. I hope she comes back to help me with this one. Love your blog!! thriftyideastoday.com

23. Rhonda says:

Great blog. I have been a fan of yours since discovering your store in Paducah. My husband (the man with the purple boa) loves to go to your store and wouldn’t miss one of your shows in Paducah for anything. Keep up the good work and continue to blog…:)

24. Dawna says:

Eleanor I feel as if we are great friends, your quilt books and easy templetes have made me a better quilter . I record all your quilting shows and enjoy watching them over and over, learning all I can. Thank you for all your hard work to make my life a little brighter and easier. Thanks again from the quiet quilter in Idaho.